Saturday, May 8, 2010

Slowly Reading, But Not Reading Slowly

So I am reading Memoirs of a Geisha and I am really enjoying it but for some reason I am slowly reading it.  As in I read a few pages, set it down, then return to it, and read a few more pages.

In the meantime I have finished two books.  The first was The History of Love which I thought was good, possibly great but not quite.  I loved the character and some of his quirky behavior.  Loved the detailed descriptions of old men.  Wasn't so fond of the young girl character - but it is a book I would like to revisit, though who knows if I ever really will.

Then yesterday I finished reading The Walk. Now that was a quick read.  Twenty-four hours earlierI had never heard of the book before, much less cracked it open.  I came across this one while searching the Cape Cod Online Book Catalogue.  My search was new releases.  I must have liked the cover, of course, and the blurb attracted me.  A destitute guy walks away from his former life finding hope along the way.  Or something like that.  It's what I would call a soft novel.  It tells you a story about someone who has hit bottom - he then goes on a journey - his was not metaphorical - and comes out a better man, or in this case a changed man because of the lessons he learned along the way.  Good, not heavy, feel good, up to interpretation.

Guess now it's back to Geisha.

Chow.

No comments:

Books, Books, and More Books